Monday, June 13, 2011

Art Deco Walks


A section of Ocean Drive
I've always been interested in seeing the Art Deco section of Miami's South Beach, but had never gotten there.  I had planned to spend my birthday in Key West, but Key West is a known entity to me.  So, I decided to add two days to the beginning of my recent trip to Florida to go somewhere new, and do and see different things.  Because this part of the trip was purely vacation for me, I hadn't planned to write about it, but then I looked at my photos and decided to share them.

I took a walking tour through Art Deco Walks (ArtDecoWalks.com) with a lovely English woman, Paula Fletcher, as the guide.  On this tour I learned about the Art Deco, Mediterranean Revival and Miami Modern (MiMo) architectural styles, the history of this barrier island, and about the people who made an impact on the architecture.  I won't go into all of the history - mainly because I did not take notes and would not do it justice, but I want to share the visuals.

The Cardozo Hotel - Streamline style






"Versace Mansion" - Mediterranean Revival


Miami Modern (MiMo) Style
Jellyfish Sconce

Seaweed Chandelier

Rocket Chandelier

Streamline Stairway

Mural and Fireplace

Art Deco inspired furniture





I hope you enjoyed the pictorial - and I hope my captions aren't too misleading!

1 comment: